Title: Programme Assistant (Professional Development, Training and Fellowships Programme)
Reports to: Programme Manager
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Open to: Kenyan Residents and Nationals
Duration: 1 year contract (Renewable)
Application deadline: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 (1700hrs Kenyan Time)
The Partnership for African Social and Governance Research (PASGR) is an independent, non-partisan pan-African not-for-profit organisation established in 2011 and located in Nairobi, Kenya. PASGR is working in more than 14 African countries to enhance research excellence in governance and public policy that contributes to the overall well being of the citizens. Our vision is ‘a vibrant African social science community addressing the continent’s public policy issues’.
In partnership with individual academics and researchers, higher education institutions, research think tanks, civil society organisations, business and policy communities both in the region and internationally, PASGR supports the production and dissemination of policy relevant research; designs and delivers short professional development courses for researchers and policy actors; and facilitates the development of collaborative higher education programmes and manages fellowships to support scholarship and research.
Professional Development, Training and Fellowships is one of the three core PASGR’s programmes responsible for research capacity strengthening and administration of fellowships.
- Training Support
- Support the training function of the programme including marketing of the programme, call for application preparation, selection process, invitations for participation, source for training venues, instructors’ logistical supports including travels and accommodation, and training materials preparation.
- Support to the digitization of the PDT courses and delivery of online courses.
- Support to the management and capacity strengthening efforts of the body of instructors
2. Coordination of Fellowships
- Provide support to the Programme Manager and the Higher Education Programme team in the coordination and implementation of fellowships, including selection of fellows.
- Assist with the implementation of the fellowships’ activities including the Joint Annual Academic Seminars.
- Manage timely payment of fellowships related costs.
- Facilitate and manage communication with fellows.
- Support donor engagement by preparing and availing documents required for grant management and reporting.
3. Resource Mobilization
- Identify and disseminate funding opportunities to programme teams.
- Working with Programme teams, participate in the entire proposal development of identified funding opportunities.
4. Programme Implementation Support
- Support and carry out monitoring and evaluation of the Programme activities.
- Provide support in the preparation and tracking of PDT budgets, procurement of services, processing of payment requests and budget reconciliations.
- Take charge of all programme’s documentation including print and electronic filing to ensure safe storage and easy retrieval of PDT information. This also includes maintaining of an updated contact database.
- Set up Programme’s virtual and physical meetings including taking minutes and ensuring that agreed action points are well documented and actioned.
- Prepare programme’s reports, service contracts, presentations, including editing and formatting.
- Receive and respond to general enquiries about the Programme, as well as to requests from partners and collaborators.
- Handle all logistical support for training workshops and meetings.
- Initiative, creativity, enthusiasm, maturity, tact and high sense of responsibility.
- High level of computer literacy.
- Ability to learn new tools, tasks and skills quickly.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent organisation skills.
- Professionalism and adherence to deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication in English.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, juggle tasks and meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multicultural and multi-ethnic environment.
Qualifications and Experience
- Masters in any of the Social Sciences, Education or related disciplines such as Business, Communications and Development Studies.
- Post qualification experience in any of the following areas preferably with an international or similar regional/ national organization would be an advantage: fundraising and proposal writing; coordination of training programmes; programme management, Monitoring and Evaluation; advocacy; policy engagement.
How to Apply
Applications should be sent to email@example.com by July 8, 2020. The email must include: a CV and a cover letter.