Title: Programme Officer, Research
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Open to: Kenyan nationals only
Duration: 2 years, renewable
Application deadline: Friday, July 19, 2019
The Partnership for African Social and Governance Research (PASGR) is an independent, non-partisan pan-African not-for-profit organisation established in 2011 and located in Nairobi, Kenya. PASGR works to enhance research excellence in governance and public policy that contributes to the overall well-being of all. PASGR is recruiting for a role within its Research and Policy Unit to support research and evidence uptake programmatic work across the continent.
The right candidate for this programme officer position will be able to take initiative in connecting, informing and fostering exchange among relevant research, policy practice and advocacy constituencies working on selected issues of governance in Africa; in identifying and engaging funding and partnership opportunities for the research unit, coordinating communication arrangements for the research unit operation in the region. The candidate will develop and grow work along six key areas of responsibilities:
- Project coordination
- Substantive knowledge of public policy, development and governance theories and practices
- Technical support
- Capacity building
- Research and documentation
- Monitoring and evaluation
S/he will be comfortable with tight deadlines, and adept in setting relevant priorities and working in a self-directed and proactive manner, while knowing when and where to support where needed.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Support the development and implementation of PASGR’s flagship research uptake and use programme – Utafiti Sera – initiatives at regional and national levels
- Support the overall institutional and research programme plans, including resource mobilization for programme sustainability
- Participate in the development of plans and mobilization of resources for further policy strengthening initiatives at regional or national levels
- Establish and maintain a comprehensive database of institutions and individuals actively engaged in research, research uptake, advocacy, and practice in Africa
- Coordinate and support the management of PASGR Research Unit’s internal and external communication with relevant actors, stakeholders and the public
- Provide managerial and technical support to the head of research and policy
- Participate in strengthening existing M&E systems at all levels of the programme including supporting research programme grant recipients and Sub-recipients to meet programme deadlines and deliverables
- Participate in documentation and dissemination of new lessons and experiences and in the implementation of research projects/studies
- Participate in relevant PASGR activities, as needed.
- Master’s degree in the social sciences, development, governance or related fields. Candidates who are either completing PhD or those who have obtained a PhD within the past two years are encouraged. Working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
- At least three (3) years of post-qualification work experience in the field of social science including engagement with policy, practice and government constituencies
- Experience of managing projects, events and stakeholder engagement including budgets and budget tools
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Familiarity with the development of concepts for research or other projects and with the search for- and engagement of funding opportunities
- Evidence of willingness to work as part of a team
- Proven ability to multitask and work in a self-directed and self-driven proactive manner without supervision
- Proven ability to actively reach out to and forge strategic connections and partnerships with a spectrum of stakeholders
This position attracts a competitive package that includes: basic salary, dependent education, pension plan and medical insurance.
Applications must be submitted electronically via email to PASGR (email@example.com) by Friday, July 19, 2019 at 1700hrs. Canvassing will lead to disqualification.
All applications must contain:
- Application letter stating why you are best suited for this role
- Curriculum Vitae with a list of 3 references
- Sample publication
PASGR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.